Last updated on 23 Aug, 2023
How To Clean Pee Off An Air Mattress(2023) - 3 Best Methods
– By Eric Smith
How to clean pee off an air mattress? Accidents happen, and sometimes, our trusty air mattresses bear the brunt of them.
Whether it’s a child’s midnight mishap or a pet’s unexpected accident, cleaning urine from an air mattress is a task that can make anyone frown. But don’t worry, Mattress Region is here to help you out.
Cleaning air mattress urine might sound daunting, but with the right details and a few handy tricks, you can have your mattress fresh and clean again as if nothing happened.
Today in this guide, we’ll talk about how you can clean pee off your expensive air mattress and get rid of its smell as well. And, for that, you don’t even need to be a cleaning expert or have fancy tools.
Let’s dive in and see how to do this task.
- How To Clean Pee Off An Air Mattress(2023) - 3 Best Methods
- Can You Clean Urine From An Air Mattress?
- What Do You Need To Clean Air Mattress Urine?
- Prepare Your Air Mattress For Cleaning
- How To Clean Pee Off An Air Mattress(3 Quick Methods)
- Make Your Air Mattress 100% Spotless From Pee Stains
- Final Wordings:
- How To Inflate an Air Mattress With Air Compressor? 4 Easy Steps
- Can You Wash an Air Mattress? How To Do That?
- Can You Leave an Air Mattress Plugged In? Know The Truth
- Why Do Air Mattresses Have Bumps? 5 Shocking Reasons
- Why Is My Air Mattress Making Popping Noise? 10 Reasons
- Can You Stack Air Mattresses? – 5 Best Tips(2023 Guide)
Can You Clean Urine From An Air Mattress?
Cleaning urine from an air mattress is a common concern, especially if accidents happen. However, the good news is, yes, you can clean urine from any of your air mattresses. It might seem challenging but trust me, it’s just a piece of cake. But, you have to keep some points in mind while doing so.
First of all, you have to act quickly as soon as you notice pee stains or smells on an air mattress. The faster you start cleaning, the better your chances of completely removing the urine stain and odor.
In pee-cleaning cases, patience is key. You might even need to repeat the process in case you don’t get the desired results. However, it’s worth mentioning that with the right approach and some right cleaning friends, you’ll clean the mattress and make it fresh again.
What Do You Need To Clean Air Mattress Urine?
- Essential Supplies: You need a few things to clean air mattress urine, such as a clean cloth or some paper towels. You’ll need them to soak up the pee.
- Dish Soap: A small amount of dish soap mixed well with water can help clean the affected inflatable bed area.
- White Vinegar: Vinegar is like a superhero for handling urine odors. It helps neutralize them completely.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and stain remover.
- A Spray Bottle: It will help you apply the cleaning solution evenly all over the stain on the air mattress.
- Distilled Water: When mixing with vinegar or cleaning solutions helps prevent mineral deposits on your mattress.
- Plastic Gloves: Safety First! Protect your hands from urine and cleaning agents.
- Commercial Stain Remover (Optional): If you want a quick solution, then a commercial stain remover is something you need.
Prepare Your Air Mattress For Cleaning
Before diving into how to clean pee off an air mattress, let’s prepare the air mattress for that.
1. Act Quickly:
It’s like a race against time. The moment you spot urine on your air mattress, don’t delay. Act as soon as possible! The longer pee stays on the air mattress, the more challenging it becomes to get rid of the stubborn stain and the unpleasant smell it leaves behind. Hence, your very first step is to act quickly.
2. Soak Up, Don't Rub:
When you accidentally spill something on your clothes. What do you do in the next step? You’d likely soak it with a napkin or a tissue, right?
The same thing applies here. Use a clean cloth or paper towel to soak up the urine. It helps take excessive pee off the air mattress without spreading it around. You must avoid rubbing because that can make the urine penetrate deeper into the airbed fabric.
3. Remove Bedding:
Now, think about your bedding like a shield. If it’s come into contact with the urine, it’s crucial to remove it. This prevents the urine from spreading to other parts of your bedding. Think of it as stopping an advancing army in its tracks. Remove the bedding as soon as possible to contain the issue.
4. Deflate the Air Mattress:
Deflating air mattress might seem a bit puzzling, but it serves a crucial purpose. Deflating the airbed makes it easier to access the affected area. Plus, it prevents urine from seeping deeper into the mattress.
How To Clean Pee Off An Air Mattress(3 Quick Methods)
Method 1: Baking Soda & Vinegar
- What You Need: For this, you need some white vinegar, baking soda, water, a spray bottle, and a clean cloth or paper towels.
- Prepare a Solution: Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in your spray bottle.
- Spray and Fizz: Spray this solution on all over the air mattress urine stain. You might see it fizz and bubble a bit – no need to worry; that’s perfectly normal!
- Baking Soda Boost: While it’s still wet, sprinkle a good amount of baking soda over the urinated area or areas.
- Let it work and Blot: Now, allow the solution to sit for at least 15-20 minutes. Then, blot it up with your clean cloth. Remember, don’t rub it, just soak it up.
Method 2: Commercial Stain Remover
Buy a Commercial Stain Remover: If you’re looking for the easy route, we suggest you buy a commercial stain remover which is made for pet stains. You can buy one from a nearby store or an online marketplace like Amazon or Walmart.
Simple Steps: Using a Commercial Stain Remover on a pee stain is just a piece of cake. Just follow these simple steps.
- Apply: Apply the stain remover right on the urine stain. Please wait for some time: Let it sit for the recommended time(typically, time is mentioned on the stain remover itself).
- Blot It Up: Blot up the solution with your clean cloth or paper towels after you notice it’s thoroughly settled.
Method 3: Enzymatic Cleaners
Nature’s Little Helpers: Enzymatic cleaners contain special enzymes that work like little cleaning fairies. These cleaners break down the urine at a super tiny level.
Pro Tip: Enzymatic cleaners are ideal for those stubborn stains and those pesky lingering smells. Here’s how to use them:
- Apply: Apply the enzymatic cleaner on the pee stain with the help of the instruction mentioned on the product label.
- Patience, Please: Usually, you’ll need to leave it for a while, but sometimes overnight. Yeah, you might need to do that if the stain is old and well-settled.
- Soak It Up: Soak up the cleaner and any leftover pee with your cloth.
Make Your Air Mattress 100% Spotless From Pee Stains
Step 1: Spot Test
It’s wise to do a spot test before using a cleaning solution on the pee stain. It makes sure that you’re using the right cleaning solution that won’t hurt the mattress fabric and also clean the stain.
All you have to do is, just apply the cleaning solution you choose (like the baking soda and vinegar mix, commercial stain remover, or enzymatic cleaner) to a hidden area of your inflatable bed.
Step 2: Apply The Cleaner
Once the solution has qualified for the spot test, you can use it directly on the pee stain. You can use a spray bottle to apply the cleaner to the stained area.
Be thorough but not too aggressive. You want to treat the stain, not damage your expensive inflatable bed. Now, gently work the cleaning solution into the stain with a soft-bristle brush or your fingers.
Step 3: Blot and Rinse
Don’t forget, we’re not rubbing here. Use the cloth to soak up the leftover cleaning solution along with the urine.
For people using a commercial stain remover or enzymatic cleaner, follow the instructions mentioned on the product label if you get stuck at any point.
Step 4: Dry The Air Mattress
Now it’s time for your air mattress to take a break. You want to make sure the airbed is completely dry before you put the bedding back onto it.
You can allow it to dry by leaving it in a well-ventilated space. Using a fan or hair dryer can help you speed up the process in case you’re in a hurry.
Now, you have thoroughly learned how to clean pee off an air mattress. You can clean even the toughest pee stains from your air mattress with the help of this guide.
From now on, you don’t have to worry if your cute pets or baby pee on it accidentally. All you have to do is collect the right tools and suitable cleaning agents and dive into the cleaning process without thinking twice.
Remember, it’s wise to act as soon as you notice the pee stain on a regular as well as an air mattress. The longer it stays on the surface, the tougher it will be to get rid of it.
The cleaning methods mentioned in this how to clean pee off an air mattress guide work pretty well. Some work effectively for fresh or normal stains; however, some work best when it comes to those hard to get rid of pee stains. Now, let’s end this guide here and fix this issue on your own.
About Eric Smith
With 4+ years of experience dealing with air mattresses, Eric has gotten really good at making useful and interesting stuff for you to read. He loves helping people find the right air mattresses and fix any air mattress-related issues.